Teacher's Reflection Series 3: Writing Process: The Flawed and Learned Way

 

    For me, writing serves two main purposes: to communicate ideas and to express one’s emotions. Initially, my approach to writing stemmed from personal experience, without consideration for the established writing theories. Thankfully, I am now acquainted with these existing theories and practices so that I may use them to enhance my writing skills.

    Firstly, I identify the purpose of the text, whether it is to inform, entertain, persuade, or argue. This was the knowledge I gained when I was in high school: the four main types of essays, and I believe these types dictate the tone of my writing. Unlike the writing practice stated in the sociocultural theory, I never considered who my target audience was and what potential impact my text would bring them. I believed simply aligning the tone with my chosen type sufficed.

    Secondly, I brainstorm the contents of the text based on my chosen subject. I write carelessly without concern for coherence, grammar, or spelling until I have poured all of my ideas into the paper. This stage involves reading relevant sources and adapting them into my writing. Charles Bazerman in his article "What do Sociocultural Studies of Writing Tell Us About Learning to Write?" describes this as the ‘interconnection’ of texts where new texts are built upon prior ones. Gathering information from various sources ensures credibility and authenticity to the facts presented in my writing.

    Thirdly, I select statements from my brainstorming session that fit well into my text. I organize them for coherence, ensuring all grammatical and spelling mistakes are corrected.

    The fourth, which is the most important stage for me, involves seeking feedback either from teachers, classmates, or friends. Their input provides perspectives beyond my own, helping to eliminate biases. After considering their responses, I revise my text until it aligns with the provided rubric, fulfills its intended purpose, and is free from errors.

    My personal writing process closely aligns with the Cognitive Process Theory, mainly due to my eagerness to translate my ideas into coherent texts. There are areas for improvement in my writing processes. Familiarity with writing theories has helped me identify my weaknesses and how I might improve the quality of my writing. One of the most helpful things I learned is to consider who the audience is so that my writing not only blindly communicates ideas but also resonates with them. The ecological theory states that ‘relationships between writers, texts, readers, and contexts should be considered.

    Moreover, in addition to keeping updated about the trends in writing, it is important to keep practicing the skill. Like any skill, proficiency in writing requires time, practice, and effort. Just as engineers aren't inherently skilled at building skyscrapers, or pilots at flying planes, becoming a proficient writer takes dedication and perseverance. In order to fulfill this, the best way I practice is to write about myself. So, I keep a diary and a blog to write about the events in my life, keeping myself inspired. It gives me hope knowing that my life is worth documenting and reading about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Martines by Anna Felicia Sanchez (Contextual Analysis by Kate Borlasa)

A Handful of Dates by Tayeb Salih (Contextual Analysis)

ICT Classroom Rules